Saturday, September 20, 2014

Enabling Goals for Writers

By Lacey Gunter

It is near the end of September and I have been doing some assessments on my yearly goals. So far I am on schedule with my writing goals. I just need to finish my current picture book manuscript and write one more to complete my goals. I feel like my writing improves with each manuscript and I am happy with what I have accomplished so far. 





However, I have come to the realization that I need to be setting some enabling goals for my writing. Here are some of the enabling goals I have thought of that will help me achieve my long term writing goals:

1. Goals for Reading: a number of books to have read, a proportion for how many should be within certain genres and what proportion should be recently published or high impact

2. Goals for Writing Education: college courses, writing workshops, conferences, webinars and seminars or any other useful learning opportunities

3. Goals for Submissions: the number or timing of submissions to agents and/or editors

4. Goals for Critiquing: the number of critiques each manuscript goes through, how often to engage with a critique partner or participate in a critique group

Do you have enabling goals for your writing and are there any you can add to this list that you have found to be helpful?

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails